Dating Tips: What If You Don’t Like Your Looks?
We’re going to get off to a brusque start here: women like good-looking men. Now, that doesn’t mean that women are only attracted to guys who look like Liam Hemsworth or ripped-and-on-steroids male models. Keep reading for our dating tips this week on how to look your best!
But think about it: you’re attracted to sexy, good-looking women, so it makes sense that women like the idea of being with a good-looking guy. And here’s where today’s big question pops up: what if you don’t like your looks? What if, when you look in the mirror, you think to yourself, “There’s no way that the gorgeous girl I like is going to be into a guy that looks like this.”
The really bad part is that if you don’t like your looks – if you can’t see yourself as a handsome man – then this impacts your confidence when it comes to women. If you don’t believe you look good, women won’t believe it either.
But, for right now, let’s stop with the psychology ramblings. Let’s answer this question:
What can I do so I actually have good looks that I am confident about?
Fortunately for you, the vast majority of a man’s looks all come down to (1) grooming, (2) fashion, (3) fitness.
…which implies that these are all things you can do something about.
Here’s how to fix up your grooming.
- Keep yourself clean. Basic advice, but don’t overlook it. Clean up any gunk jammed beneath your fingernails. Trim your nose and ear hairs. Moisturize yourself daily so your face has a healthy complexion. Learn how to groom your eyebrows – there are plenty of good resources online for that.
- Wear eyeglasses? Pick ones that handsomely complement the shape of your face. Square faces look best with rounder frames, and vice versa.
- Get a seriously good barber. Be frank with him: “I want a contemporary hairstyle that looks fantastic on me.” Plenty of your problems when it comes to your looks can be resolved with the right hair style.
How does a guy who’s not a fashion aficionado develop a good sense of fashion? Here’s how:
- Look to online resources to learn what colors match together in an outfit (including shoes, belt, and watch), and what colors are best for the tone of your skin.
- If you have a close female friend, take her shopping with you! She’ll likely know what looks good on you – and what doesn’t. This is a very good strategy for quickly getting a highly-fashionable wardrobe.
- Another option: get a consult with a professional wardrobe and fashion stylist. Lyons Elite has some new concierge services launching this March 2016 to assist with these.
This is the part where it gets simple but NOT easy. You should do what you can to get in good physical shape. This doesn’t mean you have to have the sculpted body of some world-class athlete. It does mean that you should exercise (and eat appropriately) so you get the kind of body you feel confident in.
And don’t do it with the single-minded objective of attracting women. Having a physically fit body keeps you healthy, keeps your testosterone at a good level, and makes you enjoy sex more. This is for you – you’re not doing it for women.
So get a fitness coach if need be. Devote some time to learning the best exercise and dieting regimens – regimens that make the most sense for your daily schedule and your personality type.
Do these 3 things – improving your grooming, fashion, and fitness – and you’ll feel a lot confident when you go out and talk with women. You’ll feel better about yourself, too, which contributes to a positive feedback loop for your dating life and life in general.
For more great dating tips visit our matchmaking blog here.