When you’re using dating apps, it can be tough to know what to say in your messages to potential partners. You want to come across as confident and interesting, but you also don’t want to scare them off! After all that swiping and finally finding someone that checks all your boxes, it can be tempting to just send them a generic message like “Hey, what’s up?”
But trust us, taking the time to craft a unique and engaging message will be worth it. Not only will you stand out from all the other singles on the app, but you’ll also increase your chances of getting a reply. This is the time to make them swoon, right?
When it counts, most people have no idea what to say.
Don’t you worry. I’ve got you covered.
I’ve put together my tops tips to crafting the perfect messages that are sure to get a reply on any dating app!
- Try to make them feel emotion with your message. A lot of people think that they need to be funny in order to get a reply, but that isn’t always the case. In fact, studies have shown that messages that evoke positive feelings are more likely to get a response than those that are humorous. So if you’re not the funniest person in the world, don’t worry! Just try to focus on making your match feel something positive.
- Make sure that you’re actually interested in the person you’re messaging. This might seem like a no-brainer, but so many people write generic messages that could be sent to anyone. If you want your message to stand out, make sure it’s specific to the person you’re messaging. NO copy and pasting – EVER.
- Ask a question that they’ll actually want to answer. This will help start a conversation and make it more likely that they’ll write back. End your message with a call to action. Asking them a question at the end of your message is a great way to do this. Something like “So, what do you think? I’m free for a chat tomorrow evening, does that work for you?” will give them the nudge they need to write back.
- Get them talking about themselves. People love talking about themselves, so if you can get your match to do just that, you’re well on your way to getting a reply. One easy way to do this is to ask them a question about something they mentioned in their profile.
- Be a little mysterious. You want to give them just enough information about yourself to pique their interest, but not so much that they feel like they know everything about you. Mystery and intrigue are exciting since they offer the opportunity for the unexpected.
Remember to always try to put a smile on their face. Like I said before, evoking positive emotions is a great way to get a response. So if you can make your match smile, laugh, or even just say “hmm,” you’re in GREAT shape.
Bonus tip: Make sure your grammar is on point. This might seem like a small thing, but trust me, it makes a big difference. No one wants to date someone who can’t even be bothered to use proper punctuation!
So there you have it! These are my top tips for how to get a reply on dating apps. So go out there, put yourself out there, and don’t be afraid to shoot your shot! And if you need any more help with dating app messaging, feel free to reach out to our team. We’re always happy to help!