Emily Lyons is a celebrity matchmaker, author, and CEO of Lyons Elite Matchmaking. She has been featured in publications such as Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, Cosmopolitan Magazine and more. Emily knows her way around the dating world! In this blog post she shares 10 tips to have the best date with someone you are really interested in–learn from Emily’s experience so that your next date goes well!
- First and foremost, It’s important to have fun on a date! Don’t be afraid to laugh, joke around and just enjoy the company of someone new! Dating shouldn’t be like a business transaction.
- It’s extremely important to not get too personal in your conversation topics early on in order that you may learn more about one another without being intrusive. It is also key to avoid talking about past relationships that may have ended poorly. These topics should be saved for another date, once you are more familiar with one another and know how to avoid sensitive subjects!
- While on a date it is good to share bits of your life story but don’t discuss everything all at once- keep them wanting more (that way they will ask you for more information)
- Don’t be afraid to show your personality, but try not to overshare too much! Sharing personal stories is a great way to get someone interested in you. This will only work if it’s appropriate and doesn’t have any negative or embarrassing connotations attached. If something happened that can possibly come back as embarrassing or negative, keep that story to yourself! It’s important to not get too personal in a first date.
- Do your research ahead of time and have some questions ready for the person you’re going on a date with- this will show them how interested you are in learning more about their life/story/past etc. Also take note of things they may say that you would like to ask them in the future.
- Look your very best. When you look good, you feel good. It’s a great idea to have a few go-to outfits for first dates, so that you can easily choose what clothes look best on you and most importantly make the right impression!
- When going out with someone new it’s important not to be overly flirtatious or touchy in any way without knowing how they feel about it. If the person is receptive than they will let you know either verbally or with body language what their thoughts are on intimacy before anything happens between you two!
- If someone says something, don’t always assume that’s how they feel- this goes both ways of course (if they say something negative take into account that maybe that isn’t how they feel about the subject)
- Do not be afraid to say no! If you aren’t interested in doing something or it doesn’t sound like a good time, don’t hesitate to politely decline. It’s always better to give a straight answer than have things get awkward when someone tries asking again later on down the road.
- Be confident! It is a great idea to practice giving compliments to yourself. Don’t be afraid to acknowledge your good qualities and make sure you feel comfortable in who you are! Confidence is one of the sexiest things you can wear!
- If you are meeting up on a date with someone new, make sure to tell your friends/family where you’re going and who they are! This way if anything goes wrong or something were to happen- there would be people looking out for you.
- Don’t drink too much! It can impair judgement which could lead to making some poor decisions. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a drink or two, but make sure to stay in control! Keep your wits about you and don’t do anything out of character.
Remember, have an open mind when going on dates with new people- don’t go in expecting anything and just let things happen as they may. Enjoy the opportunity to get to know someone new!
Stay safe and be smart: If you are meeting up with a potential date for the first time, don’t tell them where you live or give out any personal information that could put your safety at risk- this is very important!
Don’t be afraid to have fun! Enjoy yourself and relax. Dating is supposed to be a good time, not something that stresses you out or makes you uncomfortable- if it’s too much for you then maybe you should reevaluate your choice in date.